If you’re looking for ways to take your home to the next level, your kitchen is the best place to start. Prospective buyers place a lot of importance on kitchens. If you have the budget for home renovations, this is definitely something you should be focusing on.
What Does It Cost To Remodel A Kitchen?
Kitchen renovations can be pretty costly, particularly if you’re interested in features like kitchen islands, quartz countertops, and custom-made cabinets.
According to a Cost vs. Value report published by Remodelling Magazine in 2018, renovating a 200-square-foot kitchen costs £48,000 on average. This price includes new wood cabinets, appliances, flooring, lighting, a standard sink, and tap combo, and a kitchen island.
Of course, you could wind up spending significantly more — or less — than that. If you want a gourmet kitchen that includes custom cabinets, tile backsplash, and granite counters, along with built-in features and cutting-edge appliances, you can expect to pay around £96,000.
Budgeting For Renovations
If you want your kitchen renovations to be a success, you should start by deciding on a budget.
Are you going to replace your cabinets? How much are you comfortable spending? Will you be installing new cabinet hardware? Do you plan on replacing the lighting in your kitchen? You’ll want to take everything into consideration. A good place to start is kitchen showrooms where you can get a good idea of how much each installation will cost. Decide what you’re comfortable spending and where you want that money to go. If you do this, you’ll be able to stick to your plan as renovations move forward.
The Best Tips For Budgeting
- Put most of your money towards things that will last for a long time, such as new cabinets and appliances
- Don’t overdo it. If you build a luxury kitchen, there’s a good chance you won’t be able to recover your investment, even if you make beautiful upgrades. Try to stay in line with what’s standard in your neighbourhood. Speak with an estate agent and look at home listings to get a clearer picture of what you should be doing.
- Prepare for mishaps. Ideally, you should leave 10 to 15% of your budget to put towards unplanned expenses.
It’s likely that something will go wrong during your renovations, but if your budget for that, you’ll be able to solve those problems with very few issues.
What’s The Best Way To Cut Costs On Kitchen Renovations?
Planning ahead is always the best way to save when you’re renovating your home. You won’t want to put in gorgeous counters and then find out that you can’t install your new sink without removing it. You don’t have to do everything at once. In some cases, spacing out upgrades can be a great way to save. With that said, you should research ahead of time. If you have to undo work that you’ve already finished, you’re going to be spending more.
You don’t have to spend a fortune in order to improve your kitchen. If you’d like to make a dramatic change without spending a lot, these cost-cutting tips can put you on the right track.
- Opt to Refinish or Repaint Cabinets: You don’t necessarily need to get rid of the cabinets that are already in your kitchen. Instead, you could choose to apply a fresh coat of paint or refinish your cabinets. This can give them a fresh new appearance. If your cabinets have outdated faces, you could try re-facing them. It will cost more than repainting will, but it’s still much cheaper than replacing your cabinets entirely.
- A Backsplash Makes a Big Difference: You won’t have to spend much in order to install a tile backsplash in your kitchen, and it could transform the room. Even if you hire workers, it’s likely that you won’t be spending more than a few hundred pounds. You can spend even less if you do everything on your own.
- Try Painting Appliances: If you have dated-looking appliances, but they’re still in good condition, you could have them painted. This can be done at a body shop. If you’re able to keep the appliances you currently have instead of investing in new ones, you’ll be able to save quite a bit of money.
- Look At Different Options For Flooring: You may think that vinyl floors won’t give you the look that you want, but these floors are much better than they were in the past. Many floors mimic the look for more expensive materials for a much lower cost. It’s one of the most affordable options for kitchen flooring.